Thursday, September 15, 2011

New music venture (kinda), and new direction of the blog..kinda

So I have not posted in a while. I have decided to move the direction of the blog into a more personal matter, I may still post about my experiences in the Columbus scene and really it is still my experience in music. Point is, I am going to document my new musical venture. For a long time I have been working on a "solo" band. That being it is not Andy Shaw Band, it is not Shaw Brothers, it's really not even "Chris Shaw" solo. It is a new band with me playing electric guitar and I am attempting kind of write in a direction. I never have done this before, normally I just write whatever comes to my head and sometimes it sounds like my brother (I think) or sometimes it sounds like whatever I listened to on the radio, or just me. I like this a lot and I like my style but recently I have been getting really into some music and I have kind of figured out it is mostly soul....with some other stuff mixed in. Some of the artists I have really been getting into include throwback musicians like Adele, Amy Winehouse, Mayer Hawthorne, that pay tribute to soul, motown, ska, classic r&b, and the like. I recently have been realizing that this is the music I have always been into, groove music, something that speaks deep to well...the soul. I grew up with bands like Sublime which has elements of soul/reggae/hip hop, No Doubt (reggae/deep grooves), and always come back to these records as my favorite types of music. I have always appreciated the grooves that G. Love and Special Sauce come up with especially on the album "Electric Mile", if you hate on G. take a listen to this album it may change your mind. So right now I am attempting to write in this style taking the electric guitar and using it almost as a percussion instrument and not the lead instrument like an acoustic and create different grooves.

I could go further and I will, but I am going to jump into today. Today I am working on a song with the working title "Different Inspirations". This is a song originally inspired by the classic songwriter inspiration: a break up. This is about when I was newly broken up and just thinking about her and not being able to just do the things I wanted because she would not get out of my head. Then I would go out and I would see her at all the places I hung out at. So it's not finished and songs change meanings as time goes by, and if I have not finished writing a song and now feel a different way sometimes I change the meaning of the lyrics. I am not sure if this is going to happen yet but we will see.

What I have been doing recently is demo'ing out all the parts, or at least core parts like guitar, vocals, drums, maybe bass (usually played on guitar), and sometimes piano. There are a few key groups I am not trying to necessarily emulate but get inspiration from. I mentioned Adele, Amy Winehouse, Mayer Hawthorne, and then there's The Black Keys (see album "Brothers"),  Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, and similar artists. I like to take certain simple guitar rhythms and build a groove off of that and the drums. So here it goes. I will be posting some audio/video/lyrics and such as I go. Please feel free to comment and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment